Monarchists.Wiki:Selected anniversaries/May 1
This is a list of selected May 1 anniversaries that appears on the "On this day" section of the Main Page. To suggest a new item, in most cases you can be bold and edit this page. Please read the selected anniversaries guidelines before making your edit. However, if your addition might be controversial, or on a day that is or soon will be on the Main Page, please post your suggestion on the talk page instead.
Please note that the events listed on the Main Page are chosen based more on relative article quality and to maintain a mix of topics, not based solely on how important or significant their subjects are. Only five to six events are posted at a time and thus not everything that is "most important and significant" can be listed. In addition, an event is not generally posted this year if it is also the subject of the scheduled May 1, 2021 featured article or the May 1, 2021 featured picture.
To report an error when this appears on the Main Page, see Main Page errors. Please remember that this list defers to the supporting articles, so it is best to achieve consensus and make any necessary changes there first.
- 880 – The Nea Ekklesia church in Constantinople was consecrated, and went on to set the model for all later cross-in-square Orthodox churches.
- 1169 – Norman mercenaries landed at Bannow Bay in Leinster, marking the beginning of the Norman invasion of Ireland.
- 1576 – Stephen Báthory (pictured) and Anna Jagiellon were crowned as the elected rulers of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth.
- 1625 – Dutch–Portuguese War: After a month's siege, Portugal and Spain recaptured the city of Bahia in Brazil from the Dutch, who had taken it the previous year.
- 1707 – Under the terms of the Acts of Union, the Kingdoms of England and Scotland merged to form the Kingdom of Great Britain, with a single parliament and government based in Westminster.
- 1794 – War of the Pyrenees: France regained nearly all the land it lost to Spain the previous year with its victory in the Second Battle of Boulou.
- 1865 – Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina signed a treaty creating an alliance against Paraguay in the War of the Triple Alliance.
- 1898 – The American Asiatic Squadron under Commodore George Dewey defeated the Spanish Pacific Squadron under Admiral Patricio Montojo at the Battle of Manila Bay, the first engagement of the Spanish–American War.